Wednesday, July 18, 2012

I still need to talk about this trip. (Lake O'Hara)


Continuing on with the rest of my trip to Lake O'Hara.

The following day, it was still raining a little bit in the morning when we woke up. But since it was our last full day in the area, we just said f*ck it, let's go.

As planned, we went up to Opabin Lake. It's a short hike, and it wasn't that high. I think its 8km in total and 270m (ish) elevation gain. The first little portion of the hike wasn't too bad, we were mostly in the trees so the rain really didn't bother us too much. Luckily, the rain stopped just before we got to the steeper and semi-sketchier part of the trail. It was even a little bit sunny at some points and blue skies were peeking through the rain clouds.




This was probably my favorite trail among the three trails that we got to do. For overall scenery anyways. The views just keep on opening up. I was taking photos every 2 minutes, I just couldn't stop. The scenery really took my breath away, and I've been exploring Canada's backcountry for almost five years now and would like to think that I've seen some pretty amazing scenery. This country really never fails to surprise me. Places like these are what remind me of how I can put up with six months of winter, despite being a tropical girl at heart.






At one point, Steve was exploring this plateau that I couldn't be bothered climbing (Yes, I'm weak.). So I sat myself on this boulder facing this big meadow with a little river nestled between mountains topped with glaciers. I decided that maybe that's where I would like my ashes scattered when I die. (knock on wood) I'm sorry to taint this place with such a morbid thought. But the point is, it was really that serene. I couldn't look away from it either. It was very overwhelming.



We finally reached this huge lake which we assumed was Opabin Lake. There was a ridge in the distance, and we assumed that it was portion of the alpine circuit so we didn't bother going over it. We wanted to finish the trail before lunch time so we can set out on another hike. Satisfied that we've reached our destination, we headed back down via the East Opabin Trail (we went up the West Trail). BTW, there was a ridiculous amount of marmots and squirrels along the meadows by the east trail. A lot of them were mating too.

Hungabee Lake when I thought it was Opabin


Unfortunately, we realized when we got to the bottom that the lake we have thought was Opabin Lake, was in fact not Opabin Lake. It was another lake called Hungabee Lake. That was a really annoying feeling knowing that you were less than a kilometer away from your destination and didn't even get there. I mean, it wasn't a hard hike, but it was still 8km and almost 1,000 feet. So, we decided that we really have to go back to the area very soon. We were already bitter from not doing the alpine route since we thought that it was still snow covered, plus the shitty weather we've had the first couple of days, and then being tricked by Hungabee Lake into thinking it was Opabin Lake. 

Lesson learned, that's what happens when you don't bring a topo map on your hike. I really should never assume that a hike would be easy enough as to not require a map.

After lunch, of course it starts raining again. But we really really wanted to hike to Lake MacArthur. I've read that these are the three areas that you ABSOLUTELY MUST see if you go here. Steve suggested that we just go as far as we can, and if it starts raining really hard, we'll just head back.

(I realize we are starting to sound really afraid of the rain. Let me explain. The first night traumatized us. I got soaking wet running from the shelter to my tent. That was not pleasant.)

So we head up to Lake MacArthur. This hike was a little bit harder than the first two. Short (7km) but with an elevation gain of 413m. A lot of the elevation was in the trees too, and I really don't enjoy that too much. It's a lot easier to hike up when you have nice scenery to stare at. But I feel a lot more tired when I'm hiking in trees. There were some interesting boulders though, which made Steve and I super excited for bouldering later on that week.



It opens up soon enough to yet more amazing scenery. We were pretty high up so we got a good view of the valley down below. We made the mistake of following the "Low Circuit" which we assumed would have been easier. But no. Since we were already high up, following the low circuit meant that we hike down a few hundred feet and then have to hike back up another few hundred feet. It was very inefficient, and there was no spectacular views at the bottom either. We didn't realize it till we were at the bottom too.

Scenery from the MacArthur highline circuit


But finally, we reached Lake MacArthur, and I personally think its the most breathtaking lake among the three that we've hiked to (excluding Lake O'Hara). I almost had that morbid thought again on how this is where I want my ashes scattered. Then I realized I said that about the meadows at the Opabin trail, and felt very conflicted. I don't want my love ones to hike both trails. (I am vehemently knocking on wood right now.)



As if it was teasing us, the sun finally started shining about an hour after we got back to the campground. This really made me bitter again. We considered doing another hike just so we can take advantage of the sun. But we were already starting to feel a little bit tired. Since we did the trails separately and not via the alpine circuit, it meant that we were hiking up and down every single time, as opposed to hiking up and staying up.

We leave the following day. And since Mother Nature seems to be PMS-ing all week, of course it was nice and sunny on our departure day. We were going to take the 11:30 bus out because we were really excited to eat steak and have a real shower. But in the end, we decided that the steak and the shower can wait a couple more hours. 

So we decided to hike up to Opabin Lake again to finish the hike once and for all. We were a little bit concerned about getting back in time for the 2:30 bus. The first time we hiked the trail, we were very leisurely and it took us almost 4 hours. So we weren't really sure how long it would take us when we're not taking our time. It was almost 11am at that point. Steve figures I would not be stopping to take photos every two minutes since I've already been on the trail the day before, so we might make it back. 

I was very happy to finally see the end of the trail. Opabin Lake was really pretty too. This is what Opabin Lake looks like.

The real Opabin Lake.

Scenery from the ridge just before Opabin Lake


We actually made it back to the trailhead in just over two hours. So we had an hour and a half to kill till the bus came. We headed over to the LeRelais Day Shelter to have some of their world famous carrot cake, together with some fancy tea that my friend Ramya gave me for my birthday.



It was the perfect ending to our trip.

All in all, despite the crappy weather and the trail mistakes, it was a great trip. I am totally in love with the Lake O'Hara area.

No comments:

Post a Comment